NAD+ stands for Nicotinamide (nick-o-tin-a-mide) Adenine (ad-a-nine) Dinucleotide (di-nuke-lee-a-tide). It is an essential molecule found in every cell of your body; a coenzyme of Vitamin B3 (niacin), which means it’s a small helper molecule that binds to a protein molecule in order to activate an enzyme. Enzymes are responsible for over 5,000 different biochemical reactions throughout the body and NAD+ participates in more reactions than any other vitamin-derived molecule. NAD+ is basically the building block of a healthy body that the brain, our internal organs, and neurological systems need to function at optimal efficiency.
Why is NAD+ important?
As we age, our NAD+ levels decline. Addiction, depression, stress, and illness also deplete our NAD+ levels. A significant increase in NAD+ levels helps to restore brain functionality. As a result, patients have experienced increased clarity of mind, better problem-solving ability, improved focus and concentration, increased energy, improvement in mood, decreased anxiety levels, and reduced cravings. This revolutionary alternative treatment heals brain-destroying diseases such as alcoholism, addiction, chronic stress, depression, and anxiety.
What does NAD+ do?
NAD+ is needed for metabolic functions to take place in all the cells in your body, including your brain. Scientists have shown that NAD+ significantly decreases as we age, so it’s beneficial to replenish NAD+ levels so your body can function at optimal levels. NAD+ is involved in these roles throughout the body:
- Energy production (ATP): NAD+ helps your cells convert food into energy by acting as an electron transporter during cell metabolism.
- DNA repair: A constant supply of NAD+ is needed for the activation of PARPs, which detect and repair damaged DNA.
- Gene expression: Your body has a class of proteins called sirtuins that help regulate certain metabolic pathways and genetic expressions. Sirtuins are NAD-dependent and the more sirtuin activity, the better for health and longevity. Increased sirtuin activity can help increase metabolism, decrease inflammation, extend cell life, and prevent neurodegeneration.
- Cell signaling: NAD+ is also released from the intercellular space to the extracellular space for communication. Research is revealing that NAD and ATP may alert the immune response when the cell is under stress or when there is inflammation.
- Neurotransmitter: Although more research still needs to be conducted, in some instances, NAD+ meets the pre- and postsynaptic criteria for a neurotransmitter. NAD+ is released from smooth muscle, neurosecretory cells, and brain synaptosomes for cell-to-cell communication.depression, this is depression that lasts for two years or more.
- Enzyme activity: NAD+ and NADH are used in processes such as metabolizing alcohol and converting lactate to pyruvate in the body.
*Disclaimer – NAD+ qualifies as a supplement under FDA guidelines. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Intravenous NAD+ therapy is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.